One doctor's appointment after another it seems this last two weeks. First we went in for well checkup's on when we had to return with all the kids sick. Finally I guess after all the sleepless nights and just being plain tired I got sick. And actually very sick where I had to go to the ER with a fever of over 104 degrees. I had developed a bad staph infection and presently still fighting off this infection. As rough as I have been feeling still there is so much to do when you have young children to care for.
Much of my blog today is just on medical and the high costs for a special needs child. So keep a prayer in your heart for all the sick little ones in this world.
Chrissie is suppose to start to school on Monday but she now has a runny nose and is not feeling good.
So we decided to wait till the next week so she could have a great start. We have been purchasing all her school supplies, her little mat to sleep on, and some new clothes. Chrissie will be going to the same school as Christian and the school bus will pick the up at the same time. Chrissie will be in regular Kindergarten and receive special services for her mobility. She tested very high in her writing skills. You have to remember Chrissie has only been here for 4 months. Her intelligent is above an average first grader in math skills, handwriting also near first grade in English. So she is doing great in school. Finally got her walker that cost ($400.00) and this is probably the smallest walker I have ever seen. Monday we are suppose to receive her hot pink wheelchair in and it's cost ($3.763.47)
So for these two items over $4,100. With Chrissie's regular medical supplies delivered each month totals about $976.00, special formula an extra $380.00. So medical supplies alone are $1500 a month or more. **So I am thanking God for Gary's medical insurance. After our $3,000 yearly deductable in network we are covered 100% out of network it is 20% cost. So far since Chrissie has been here her medical only has already topped over $28,000 for this doctor's office visits in network. Again I thank God for my husband's health insurance. Without this we would not have been able to afford the medical care Chrissie so greatly needed. Like our other children Chrissie will require alot of medical visits and hospital stays in the future. Last year Patricks, Makayla & Christian's medical was well over $158,000 we were only out of pocket less than $15,000. Some of the medical was out of network so we only had to pay the 20% believe me I am happy to pay for what they need to stay well.
Makayla progress report is all A's so far. :O) Very proud of her... So far she has been fairly healthly and no colds yet..
Patrick is suppose to return to school this week after medical homebound since November 2010. But this last week he has had also a Staph Infection and now Strep-thoart & Sinus Infection.. This boy just can not stay well. It seems I may have to homeschool if his health does not improve. :O( And porr little Christian is right behind Patrick one thing after another in staying well. Again I thank God for medical insurance.
Our family is fornuate enough that each child born or adopted receives full medical care regardless of their prior health conditions. This will make it be possible for us to care for a child who needs immediate medical care. I can not stress again how hard it is for orphan children not to receive the necessary medical care to survive. Just a simple antibotic could save a child's life. And a wheelchair or an walker can change a child's life with not just being mobile. Imagine sitting and staring out a window while everyone else is outside and living your entire life sitting all day. Seeing our little Christian run and jump like a bunny somedays I tear up thinking of little Chrissie. Now that she has her walker she can move and dance freely. And also with her wheelchair she can go around the block of our house with her sisters and see things she never got to see as a little toddler. Sometimes we take the little things for granted. in life.
Last week I ran across an old friend I had not seen in 20 plus years.
She did not marry and she quickly stated she did not have any children. Her live style kept her so busy she just did not have time to devote to a child. She smelled of Channel Number 5. I remember that smell but it was replaced with the smell of Mr. Bubble and Elmo toothpaste. Her pink shoes matched her pink nail polish and her hair was nicely styled. You could tell her clothes were done at a professional dry cleaners not a wrinkle to be seen. As we greeted after all of the years she told me she did really good for herself she had a $60,000 car, her income well over $125,000 and a home that was in an area only I seen in photos. I ask if she had any pets and she did not have a dog nor a cat.
And then there was me as I stood back with my long hair pull back into a pony tail, wearing Ked sneakers and a Winnie the Pooh shirt covered in puppy fur. Yes the both of us had changed greatly over the years. My days of wearing pumps were over. Most of my days are involved in giving meds, putting on bandaids on boos-boos and kisses heads.
And as I walked to my car with my 2 gallons of milk and watched her drive off in her Fire Red Sport Car I felt as if I was the richer of both women.
There is just something about being a parent I would trade for anything.










